Saturday, September 17, 2011

Relationship Reflection

Relationships and partnerships almost go hand in hand. Partnerships are when two people (or sometimes more) have a joint interest in something, so they come together. Relationships, in my opinion, are a step further because now (more than likely) emotions are involved. I believe that it is important to have both throughout the course of your life. It is always nice to have someone to lean on, to talk to, or maybe just to be there to listen. It is also important to have someone on your side that has the same viewpoints as you. Life is challenging but I am sure it is even more difficult to navigate through it alone.  

Positive Relationships in My Life (I can talk all day about the people close to me, so I am just going to sum them up.)
My mother could be considered my best friend because of how close we are. We get along but we also have our differences, just like most relationships. She is definitely someone I can lean and depend on. Another positive relationship I have is with my Granny and Auntie. I live with these outstanding women and they are truly an inspiration. They have been best friends since the 50s and are both retired from the United States Air Force. They have been helping my parents raise me since I was a baby. At 91 and 80 years old, respectively, they are still capable of doing everything on their own. It is truly amazing to see! My father is someone else I am very close to. I am definitely “Daddy’s little girl.”

My mom & I

My daddy
My mom, younger brother, & I

The wonderful ladies (Auntie & Granny)


I have a few close friends that I have developed good relationships with over the years as well that I basically consider family. My best friend, Ayana and I have been friends since 1998 and our friendship continues to grow. There were actually three of us who were like peas in a pod. I met Kanika through Ayana and we all became the best of friends. Unfortunately, Kanika was killed in August 2008 and they still have not caught her killers. My other close friend, Monique and I have been friends since 1997. I met Ayana and Monique in high school through playing basketball. One was an opponent and the other was a teammate. There are a few others whom I have positive relationships with but I am not going to name them all.
Ayana, Me, Kanika


Monique & I

My most important relationship is with God. I am not where I want to be in life but I am better than what I used to be. And I give all the praise to Jesus. I have truly come a long way thanks to God’s grace and His mercy. I honestly do not know where I would I be if it were not for my faith in Him.

Developing and Maintaining Positive Relationships
Developing and maintaining these relationships has not been easy. In each relationship there have been ups and downs and even some time apart. However, these relationships are the strongest I have. Communication and honesty are key in maintaining relationships. In each relationship, we are open and honest with other. We have lost loved ones together and celebrated happy times together. Relationships are not easy. Like marriages, they take work. They are not one sided. Everyone plays their part and it just works. There are definitely going to be challenges. We may not always get along but the level of love never changes. They take patience, understanding, and lots of love. Without these three things, relationships will struggle. We learn from each other and grow together. I can go a week without talking to one of my friends and nothing about our relationship will change. That is a positive relationship.

2 comments:

  1. Ms. Ryan,
    I enjoyed reading your blog. I could empathize with losing a friend. I had a couple of friends drown. I also have had friendships with ups and downs. I believe that is part of being human.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan,
    A mother/daughter relationship is such a precious one. I am always glad to hear of a successful one like yours and your mom. Those are memories that will last forever. My biological mom and I were very close also.

    ReplyDelete