Friday, September 30, 2011

My Connections to Play

What play represented for me during childhood:

“Play energizes us and enlivens us. It eases our burdens. It renews our natural sense of optimism and opens us up to new possibilities.” ~Stuart Brown, MD – Contemporary American psychiatrist

“Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning.” ~ Fred Rogers, 1928-2003

How people supported me during play & the role it played in my childhood:

Growing up I remember staying outside until the street lights came on. After school, I would eat a snack, complete my homework, and then out the door I would go. From the ages of 3-9, we lived in an apartment complex. You could always find me on one of the many playgrounds, jumping out of swings or climbing the outside of the equipment. (I was a serious daredevil as a child.) If I was not there, I was riding around the complex on my Big Wheel (younger years) or my bicycle (as I got older). My mom encouraged us to play and be active. We had a Nintendo but we did not waste away hours playing games. My babysitter could not wait to send us outside during the summer. Although I am sure that some of her tactics would seriously be frowned upon now-a-days, we made the best of it. As children that is what you do. You make the best with what you have and enjoy.

When I stayed with my Granny & Auntie, we would go to the park or I would play in the backyard. Imagine a 73 and/or 62 year old outside playing soccer, kickball, or baseball with an energetic 10-year old. That was playing for me at Granny & Auntie’s house. Endless fun!

When my family moved into a single-family home, the play became more creative. In my opinion, we had the BEST backyard ever. The hill was perfect for rolling down in the summer and even better in the winter. Our sledding consisted of using trash can tops or boxes. We would literally get inside a box and slide down the hill. Good times! Our parents bought a real sled (the plastic kind) and it was not as fun as the boxes. When we had to share, no one wanted the actual sled because it “slow” going down the hill. We only stayed indoors playing video games when the weather was too bad to go out.

The role of play throughout the lifespan (childhood through adulthood):

I think as people grow up, they forget how to play and what it means to play. Most adults become overwhelmed and bogged down with bills and responsibilities that they no longer have time to “play.” Adult play is clearly different than childhood play and most certainly varies from adult to adult, however that does not make it less important once a person reaches adulthood. As adults, we need a break as well to just be free and play.

As an adult, I still play. Whether I am playing a board game or card game with my family/friends or playing a game on the Wii, it is a break from everything else. I enjoy going to the park and swinging on the swings (I do not jump out anymore though.) I am still very active just like I was when I was a child. Working in the education field gives me plenty of opportunities to play. I enjoy recess and field day with my students. When I worked summer camp, the chances to play were endless! I am an adult, but I am truly a child at heart and probably will always be.

Play today:

Play today is definitely different than how it was when I was growing up. Children are more into video games, television, computers, and any other form of technology. It is rare to drive through a neighborhood and actually see children outside playing. It makes me smile when I do witness this taking place no matter how few and far between the occurrences are. I am unsure as to why parents did not pass on the greatness of play to their children. I am not sure where the ball was dropped. Unfortunately, due to the lack of play, children are not as creative or imaginative it seems. They are certainly less healthy because they are sitting around instead of being active. Something really needs to change and soon. I hope parents realize that their children need to get up and move. They need to be active or they will be in danger when they get older.

A few of my childhood play items:

I enjoyed coloring (and still do). It was & still is very relaxing.


My legos were my favorite thing to play with when I was by myself. I had the large tub & would just build any & everything.


I was & still am a "tomboy." I learned how to play these games from my Granny & Auntie. I was a very active child!


3 comments:

  1. Great post, Ryan, it was so descriptive. Yes, I too lament the absence of children playing outside in neighbourhoods and parks. I also remember the summer months playing outside until night. Brings back great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a cousin that would play games like Risk and Stratego with me and another one who would play baseball with me. I have learned that sometimes the most inexpensive toy is the best. I can relate to the sledding story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan,
    I also stayed outside until the street lights came on,and like you I still enjoy playing board games and the Wii.

    ReplyDelete