Sunday, November 18, 2012

Communicating with Others


On a daily basis we speak multiple languages with the different people we interact with. Personally, I communicate differently with my family and friends than with my colleagues at work. I use a more professional language at work and at home I use a more informal language and style. I believe it all boils down to our comfort levels. When I am around people of a different culture I notice that I use more formal language and style until I am comfortable. Along with speaking a different language with different people in my life, I tend to wear a different mask as well. My family may see one side of me, while my coworkers and my students see another side. Honestly, sometimes it can get so tiresome and overwhelming. But everyone has different expectations. Such is life.

            Three strategies I can use to help me communicate more effectively with others from different groups are:

 

  1. Placing myself in their shoes. Everyone has a different perspective. To be an effective communicator, I should have an understanding of the other person and how they view life in general.
  2. In situations where I am not so comfortable, I can tend to be vague. I need to improve on getting to the point and being clear about my expectations and my goals of the conversation. Vagueness leads to uncertainty and confusion. Two things that I definitely want to steer clear of.
  3. Lastly, I need to ask my effective questions. I am known for being very inquisitive but I do not always seem to ask the right question to get the answer I am looking for. I need to improve on my questioning skills.

2 comments:

  1. Ryan,
    There is certainly a challenge at times with fulfilling communication expectations of others. My biggest challenge sometimes is speaking to my students who are 3 and 4. I get caught up in using language that may be well more than advance for them academically. I try my best to speak in their language but have to quickly turn it off when an administrator or other professional enters the classroom.
    This week the Platinum Rule was very beneficial when relating it to my situation. As your first strategy says we must place ourselves in the shoes of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it boils down to comfort level. Through these assessment I found that I am uncomfortable when communication with others. I think it is because I am scared that I might say something or something that might offend them. I like that you say try placing yourself in their shoes kind of reminds me of the Platnium Rules.

    ReplyDelete