Saturday, October 20, 2012

Welcoming Families From Around the World


Let’s say a new family from Ethiopia has moved into our community. Their two-year-old son will be joining my child care facility in two weeks. I went to school with other Ethiopian children but do not really know much about the country and their culture. How can I prepare myself to be culturally responsive towards this child and his family?

 

  1. I will first research the country to learn the basic “surface” facts. It is always nice to know the general information about a country.
  2. Then I will research to learn more about the traditions, values, and customs of the people, particularly the region where my family is coming from.
  3. I will then ask my friends who are from the country to provide me insight on their beliefs. I will ask for information relating to holidays and common family traditions.
  4. I will also reach out to the new family so I can see what traditions and values are important and specific to them. I will do this so I can see how to include their traditions into the classroom. I want the child to feel welcome and comfortable because it is a new environment.
  5. Lastly, I will invite the family into the classroom. I want them to become familiar with the environment as well. Maybe they would like to share with the class something about themselves so the other students can learn more about them.

 

Getting to know others is important for all parties involved. By researching the country I am showing the family that I am taking an interest in their lives. They are not just another number or family enrolled in the program. I want them to feel welcomed and important. Too often new families and children join programs and become another figure. I do not want any of my families to feel that way.

3 comments:

  1. Ms. Ryan,
    I agree that it is important to research the families culture and home country. This can help you learn about the culture and traditions of the family. This information can help you establish effective communication and relationships with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, said that I will research the family culture and beliefs and try to incorporate them in classroom. I would also invite them to the classroom as well. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan,
    Good idea, reaching out to the community to gain background information about the culture of the family. I agree learning about the family will give them the impression that you care and are interested in learning about their family and culture. Great points!

    ReplyDelete