Sunday, December 2, 2012

Conflict Strategies


            I am the type of person that avoids conflict and confrontations, even though I know they are inevitable. I think well on my feet and I am conscious of my responses and the other person’s feelings (sometimes a little too empathetic), but I have a slick tongue and can be very sarcastic. My sarcasm is not always appreciated. Lol.

            This past week I participated in a heated discussion with my son’s father. We do not see eye-to-eye on many things. I called him with a suggestion and he quickly jumped on the defensive. I felt attacked so I became very sarcastic. Transparent moment: I do not understand why I (as the mother) have to jump through hoops or bend over backwards for him to see and spend time with his son. This makes no sense to me. The ‘discussion’ ended with me saying “Ok, whatever.” Clearly, nothing was solved and no one’s needs were met.

            This week, I have been learning how it is important to be empathetic and understand the other person and their feelings. So I reflected on our discussion and thought of two things I could do differently next time.

1.      Focus on the matter at hand and not make any personal attacks. Be mindful of my sarcastic thoughts so that they do not become my words.

2.      Really listen to the words of the speaker. Repeat back their words to make sure I have understood them correctly. By doing this I will be able to focus on their needs and how I will be able to meet them.

1 comment:

  1. That first strategy is one that I often try to employ myself. I notice that practicing an awareness of what I am communicating often helps me to just calm down and really think about what is happening and allows me to focus in on the real issue and I hope that it does the same for you.

    ReplyDelete