Saturday, May 5, 2012

Issues & Trends Week 1 - Prof. Contacts & New Resources


Hello everyone!! I forgot how much time I actually put into my grad school work. After taking such a long leave of absence to give birth to my son, this 1st week has been rather tough. Trying to reprioritize is not an easy task but thank God I am keeping my head above water.

This first assignment was a challenge. We were asked to establish contact with early childhood professionals outside of the United States. I had a difficult time determining which cultures I wanted to learn more about. My first choice was the Philippines. I chose that country because I work with people from there at my school and a lot of the students are from there as well. Unfortunately, their website was no longer active.

            My second choice was Spain. I went to their website and of course it was all in Spanish. Thankfully, Google has a translate tool! So I emailed the contact listed on the Global Alliance website. I am just waiting to get a response from him. The other contact I made was with Mexico. Honestly, I am not sure why I chose these two countries, but I hope I am able to learn from them and that they may learn from me as well.

            For the second part of the assignment, we were to research some new resources. The first organization I chose was the National Black Child Development Institute (http://nbcdi.org). The name of the organization attracted me to the website. I am hoping to see how this organization helps Black children. I have signed up for their newsletter and am looking forward to explore the site further.

            The other organization I chose was the National Association of Early Childhood Teacher Educators (www.naecte.org). I am a member of NAEYC, so I figured this would complement my membership. After I explore the site some more, I plan on becoming a member with this organization as well.

3 comments:

  1. Ryan,

    I also chose the National Black Child Development Institute because of the name. I work in Head Start and the children that we serve are mainly black and hispanic. I had some difficulty with the email addresses on the Global Alliance link. They kept bouncing back with failure to send on them. The countries that I chose were for personal reasons also. Mainly because of the interaction that I have had with children from the countries that I chose.

    Congratulations on your new edition to your family. Children are a gift from God so cherish every moment with your son. Take lots of pictures because they don't stay babies long. Motherhood is the hardest job that you will ever have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ryan,
    First, Congratulations on the birth of your son!

    I signed up for the newsletter for National Black Child Development Institute although I chose another website to learn about weekly. I am still very curious as to how this institute help Black children.
    Good luck on finding contacts outside of the US I am also having difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan-I have a hard time balancing my life at times and I don't even have kids....I can't imagine how you feel as a new mom!! The assignment this week was a bit challenging, but luckily my personal contacts came through for me. I chose the NAECTE website as well. The center I work at is working on our NAEYC accredidation right now, so while I'm not a member, I am familiar with NAEYC. Good luck this semester!!

    ReplyDelete